Sunday, March 21, 2010

Knit One, Purl Two

image

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

I’d seen this book all over and only half wanted to read it, I’m kind of a wannabe knitter and didn’t think I’d enjoy reading about knitting because it’s something I want to do, but can’t seem to make it work.   I saw it at Riverby’s in Dec and decided to buy it. 

After I bought it I saw the quote on the cover: USA Today said it was “Like Steel Magnolias set in Manhattan” hmmm…..now I for sure wanted to read it and I decided to save it for after my trip to NYC at the beginning of March. 

When I started the book I thought it was going to be my kind of book – all the women were single, many by their own choosing, I was feeling good that this would be a book about women single by choice living their lives. 

Then around the middle things began to change.  It started heading in the direction of most chick lit – male/female relationships.  ugh.  I almost put it down, just because it was so much like so many other books.  But I continued on.

By the end I realized it was nothing like all the other chick lit books and was surprised by how attached I’d gotten to all the characters and how they all deep relationships with each other.  I agreed 100% with USA Today’s quote from the front cover! 

I discovered that there was a sequel: Knit Two and yesterday I checked at the library and it was sitting right there on the shelf, just begging to be checked out!

100_Reading_Challenge     twentyten_sml

No comments: