Friday, February 5, 2010

Viola in Reel Life

image

Viola in Reel Life by Adriana Trigiani

Adrianna Trigiani is one of my favorite authors.  I have read every one of her adult novels and have her latest on reserve at the library so I can read it just as soon as it’s available. 

Viola in Reel Life is her 1st venture in the world of Young Adult literature and I say it was a huge success!  I’m wondering if Trigiani will become like Alice Hoffman, another one of my favorite authors, who’s young adult novels are almost better than her adult novels. 

Viola is a 15 year old with a passion for making films.  Her parents, who film documentaries, are going on assignment to Afghanistan and Viola must go to boarding school.   During the course of her year she learns more than she ever imagined and truly grew up and became a young woman.

As I was reading this book I had a hard time remembering that the characters were only 14.  It seemed that many of their experiences, thoughts and discoveries about life were mature beyond 14 years.  It reminded me strongly of my own experiences going away to college at age 18.  

Definitely and enjoyable, quick read.  I’m looking forward to seeing more Adriana Trigiani YA novels in the future!

100_Reading_Challenge  library-rc twentyten_sml

No comments: