Monday, May 31, 2010

Angst and Indecision

image

The Dive from Clausen’s Pier – Ann Packer

I’d heard great things about this book.  It was best seller, Susan liked it, I’d read some good reviews.   It was a good book, but I wasn’t a big fan.  It took me forever to read.  I just didn’t get “hooked” by the story.  I had a hard time having any sympathy for the main character Carrie.  

At the beginning of the story Carrie’s fiancé, Mike, dove into a shallow reservoir an broke his neck, leaving him a quadriplegic.  He and Carrie had been having some relationship issues before the accident, but they hadn’t dealt with them yet.  Carrie struggles to figure out where she wants to be and where she needs to be.  In the process of her struggles she burns bridges with her friends. 

While the story had promise, I really didn’t feel strongly about any of the characters.  A few times I was shouting at Carrie and calling her names because she was expecting to waltz back into everyone’s lives after she’d abruptly walked out.   The other characters were intriguing, but there were too many story lines and too many directions creating a very shallow story. 

100_Reading_Challenge     twentyten_sml

No comments: