Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Day in the Life

image

Hey Ranger: True Tales of Humor & Misadventure from America’s National Parks by Jim Burnett

I really enjoyed this book!  Over his career as a park ranger Jim Burnett has worked in many different parks, most that I have never visited, but the stories he told are universal and could really have happened anywhere!  His light sarcasm and PC way of telling many of the stories added to the humor for me!  I was laughing out loud in many places!

One thing he did was turn common words into acronyms – this got a little old at the end, but I’m pretty sure that the National Park Service, like many other government or military organizations, using acronyms for everything and I’m sure it gets old there too! My two favorites  were:

Assume: Actions Seldom Supported Under Meticulous Examination

Oops: Outcome Outside of Planned Scenario 

I certainly enjoyed this “A Day in the Life” of a park ranger, it’s a job that would certainly be interesting and fun, but it’s one that I think is best experienced from a comfy armchair! :-)   Can’t wait to read the 2nd installment: Hey Ranger 2

100_Reading_Challenge

No comments: