Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Visit with Maxie and Stretch

image

The Tooth of Time – Sue Henry

This is another book that has been sitting on my TBR shelf for years.  I discovered Sue Henry when I was looking for fiction books about Alaska when I was going there, she has written a large number of Alaska mysteries.  This was before I discovered that I like mysteries so I steered away from them.  I found that one of the Sue Henry books, The Serpent’s Trail, had an RV on the cover so I decided I’d read  that one.   Turns out it was the 1st in a new series she was writing about Maxie McNabb, a 60-something single gal and her dog. Stretch the dachshund, both of whom spend months at time traveling in a 30-ft Winnebago.   This book is the 2nd in the series, I think there are 4 or 5 now. 

As much as I enjoyed another visit with Maxine and Stretch, I couldn’t really get into this book.  The mystery was lacking in punch and I felt like she spent a lot of time telling details that didn’t really matter to the story.   I thought the writing felt a little “clunky” – kind of reminded me of reading the early works of some of my favorite authors.  I found this to be odd since Sue Henry has written so many other mysteries.  

100_Reading_Challenge

No comments: